We added a new member to our family yesterday. He is a pure bread Rottweiler, he's 5 months old, he will be mostly an inside dog,and we named him Thor. Yes, we know he will grow to be about 150 pounds and that he will shed and drool and that his poops are already enormous. He is already 55 pounds! I'm sure many of you are thinking we're crazy and what are they thinking?! Especially, since for a long time I didn't like people wearing shoes in the house and am kind of a clean freak! But, I have definitely mellowed over the last few years and David had an experience that we just could not ignore. David had this very vivid dream that we had a Rottweiler named Thor and in that dream he was protecting our family from some unseen danger. Well, he kind of shrugged it off at first, and just out of curiosity looked up the breed to see what they were like, having absolutely no desire to get a dog in the near future before this. But, it was after he had the same vivid dream the very next night again that he felt like it was some kind of prompting. He told me about it and after the shock wore off that David even wanted a dog, I felt very impressed that we needed this dog too.
We found Thor in Salt Lake through the want adds, and even though we wanted a younger puppy, we just kept being drawn back to him. The price was right, so we decided to go meet him. David went up with Mary, Adam, and Lydia and right when David saw him, he knew this was Thor. Unfortunately while David was putting some things in the van, Mary witnessed the old owner kneeing him hard in the side because he had barked, and it made him yelp. When he came home he was very shy and timid and a little jumpy. Then this morning David caught him starting to pee inside and yelled to scare him into stopping and he yelped and flinched expecting David to hit him. We are sure he was abused at the last home and we are just so thankful that we were drawn to him to rescue him. We're pretty sure he wasn't exercised and he was on a very poor diet so his back legs are very weak, but the vet said he should be fine and able to recover. He's already had two play dates with Marby's dog and a neighbors puppy and he LOVES playing with other dogs. He's been so friendly toward everyone and is much more comfortable and happy today. He's a sweetheart and we all love him already. I can't even tell you how extremely excited the kids are! So without anymore delay here is our monster puppy!
OK. After I picked myself up off the floor, I celebrated for you!! I didn't want a dog for a long time, too, but it's amazing how quickly they capture your heart and become part of the family! What an awesome story about how you guys decided to get him. And so sad that he was abused! Heavenly Father truly cares for all his creatures. How wonderful! I LOVE his name - it's perfect!
ReplyDelete